International Sculpture Center

   

Fairmount Park / International Sculpture Garden

Fairmount Park
International Sculpture Garden

Pennís Landing along the Delaware River, Columbus Blvd. At Walnut St.
Philadelphia, Penn. 19106-1403
Contact: Laura S Griffith - Assistant Director, Fairmount Park Art Association
Tel: (215) 546-7550
Fax: (215) 546-2363
Web site: www.fpaa.org (under construction)

 

The International Sculpture Garden celebrates the impact of other cultures on the American experience. "Each individual piece," the Art Association noted, "should not only be typical of that nationís heritage, but should also be of the highest quality." Established by the private, non-profit Fairmount Park Art Association in 1976, the International Sculpture Garden is located at Pennís landing along the Delaware River, at a site administered by the Pennís Landing Corporation. The 80,500-square-foot garden includes two Pre-Colombian Spheres (300-1525), the Largest Nandi (c.1500) sculpture ever to leave India, two Korean Chosen Dynasty Memorial FiguresóMangbusucks (c.1695), a Kwakiutl Totem-Carved House Post (c. 12th-13th century). Currently the International Sculpture Garden is undergoing a redesign and expansion, and several of the sculptures are in storage until the completion of the new space, which is anticipated within the next few years. (First six images.)

The Fairmount Park system, best known for the 4,400-acre ribbon of green bordering the Schuylkill River and Wissahickon Creek, is actually a city-wide (and city-run) park system, with 63 separate parks of all sizes and types covering 8,900 acres. More than 200 sculptures in the park were donated by a range of individuals, organizations, and agencies with different missions, and primarily by the non-profit Fairmount Park Art Association. Founded in 1872 as the nationís first public art organization, the Art Association acquired, donated, and commissioned for the park such sculptures as Emmanuel Fremietís Joan of Arc (1890), Fredric Remingtonís Cowboy (1908), and Paul Manshipís Duck Girl(1911). Masterworks by Antoine Louis Barye, Alexander Milne and Alexander Stirling Calder, John J. Boyle, Daniel Chester French, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, Jaques Lipchitz, and Henry Moore are among the many sculptures located in the park. Recent commissions include Fingerspan (1987) by Jody Pinto, Sleeping Woman (1990) by Stephen Berg and Thomas Chimes, and Pavillion in the Trees (1993) by Martin Puryear. (Last six images.)

Hours: Open sun-up to sun-down, daily, year-round.

Call Pennís Landing Corp. (215) 923-8181 for driving instructions.

Parking near site with a fee.

Catalogue: see Public Art in Philadelphia, Penny Balkin Bach, 1992.


Artist Unkown

Artist Unkown

Artist Unkown

Artist Unkown

Artist Unkown

Artist Unkown

Frederic Remington

Stephen Berg and Tom Chimes

Alexander Stirling Calder

Henry Moore

Martin Puryear

Jody Pinto


Home | About ISC | ISC Conferences | Sculpture Magazine
Portfolio | Exhibitions | Libraries | Opportunities| Discussion Forum