Tarrytown, NY 10591
Contact: Cynthia Brown Altman - Curator
Tel: (914) 631 - 0009
Fax: (914) 524 - 6585
Historic Hudson Valley
Tel: (914) 631 - 8200, (914) 631 - 9491
Fax: (914) 631 - 0089
Kykuit, completed in 1913 for John D. Rockefeller and home
to four generations of the Rockefeller family, sits high above the eastern
banks of the Hudson River over looking the Palisades. Within the gardens
of Kykuit are two distinct collections of sculpture. The fountains, wellheads
and classical figures - from ancient and Renaissance models or by American
sculptors of the early 20th century - were assembled between 1906 and
1913 by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and landscape architect William Welles
Bosworth. The terraces descending to the west and the formal geometric
spaces defined by stone walls and box hedges are punctuated by the pergolas
and fountains integral to Italian garden design.
In 1963, Governor Nelson Rockefeller elaborated upon this
tradition and brought to Kykuit works by Lachaise, Arp, Lipchitz, Marini
and Giacometti, beginning the collection of modern sculpture that graces
the park today. He continued to add pieces during his 16-year residence
at Kykuit, taking great care in the precise siting of each. International
in scope, this collection numbers more than 70 sculptures, and reflects
many of the major trends of modern sculpture during the first three-quarters
of the 20th-Century, including works by Maillol, Calder, Moore, Picasso,
Noguchi, Meadmore, and Nadleman, among others.
Kykuit, a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation,
is maintained and administered by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, which
also operates the site as a center for the Fund's philanthropic programs.
The public visitation program is managed by Historic Hudson Valley.
Open Apr. through Oct. 10a.m. to 4p.m. by reservation.
Parking available at Philipsburg Manor Rt. 9 , Sleepy Hollow,
Guided tours only.
Brochure by mail.