31 Samayoa Place
Asheville, NC 28806, U.S.A.
Phone: (828) 254-5826
Click image to enlarge.
A theme repeated throughout my work is the abstract enshrining of objects that symbolize poignant preoccupations and vivid life issues. Natural or manmade items are arranged in wooden boxes or on shelves, in ways that experiment with space and exploit the symbolic meaning of the objects and their presentation. I begin with a display piece that is interesting to me and, after working through ideas with sketches, build a box or a platform to transform that central object and extend its symbolism.
An idea that has interested me for some time is the projection of pathos from the work. Perhaps this pathos arises partly from the sequestering of the central object in a setting of serenity and beauty, and partly from the patina and surface buildup achieved by working layer upon layer of textures, paint, and markings, revealing a palimpsest of richness and poignancy derived from the irrevocable passage of time.
Has exhibited in Europe (France, Germany, Ireland), Asia (Taiwan and Republic of China), and North America (Canada, Mexico, and throughout the United States including Alaska and Hawaii).
Grants and Fellowships:
- Stadt Künstlerhaus, Salzburg, Austria.
- Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT.
- North Carolina Arts Council Visual Artist Fellowship.
- La Napoule Foundation, La Napoule, France.
- Tyrone Guthrie Art Centre, County Monaghan, Ireland.
- Pollock-Krasner Foundation Grant.
- Oberpfälzer Künstlerhaus, Kebbel Villa, Schwandorf, Germany.
- The Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Sweet Briar, VA.
- Alfred Summer Colony, Alfred University, Alfred, NY.
- The Millay Colony for the Arts, Steepletop, Austerlitz, NY.
- The Ossabaw Foundation, Ossabaw Island, Savannah, GA.
- B. A. 1963, University of Iowa
- M. A. 1970, University of Iowa
- M. F. A. with Departmental Commendation, 1971, University of Iowa