Noyes Cultural Arts Center - Studio 10 - 927 Noyes St.
Evanston, IL 60201, U.S.A.
Phone: 847-866-8870 or 847-
Click image to enlarge.
My work reflects a long standing commitment to explore new and innovative ways to represent the human figure in sculpture. I am interested in the emotional and psychological content of this subject matter, the relationships of form to space and that of one figure to another, and most recently, the figure used in the service of an idea or as narrative.
While I sometimes work with live models, unless I am specifically doing a portrait commission, my intention is not to create a likeness, but rather to interpret it. Sometimes I'm concerned more with the personality; other times with the gesture of the pose or how the figure or figures can best express the idea I am attempting to convey. I am not interested in a literal rendering but rather an impression, a realism that is not traditional but contemporary.
Most all of my work begins as clay and is modeled rather than carved. Some sculptures are cast from the clay into bronze, silver or other media. Most sculptures remain as clay and are fired into stoneware. The clay I use is a very vitreous material which when fired is as hard as granite and is ideal for outdoors, being both durable and weatherproof.
I have been working for many years developing techniques that enable me to build very large scale complex sculptures from stoneware and to add surface patinas that enhance but do not hide the natural clays.
Media - Stoneware - Cast Bronze - Mixed Media - Silver
- BFA University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Evanston Art Center
- Paris American Academy
- Instituto Allende - San Miguel Allende, Mexico
- Anderson Ranch - Snowmass, Colorado
- Morton Grove, Illinois - School District 70
- Skokie, Illinois - School District 69
- MONNACEP - Adult Education Program
- Evanston Art Center - Figurative Sculpture (current)
- Signature Gallery - Stoughton, Wisconsin
- Illinois Artisan Shop - State of Illinois Building
- Art Institute of Chicago - Rental and Sales Gallery, 1979-1987
- 1988 St. Adalbert's Cemetery - Niles, IL
- 1989 University of Wisconsin - Whitewater, WI - Roseman Building
- 1990 City of Normal Town Hall - Normal, IL
- 1994 Skokie North Shore Sculpture Park - Skokie, IL
- 1994 Zurich American Insurance - Schaumburg, IL
- 1997 Barrington Area Library - Barrington, IL
SELECTED RECENT EXHIBITIONS:
- 2000 "Figures for the New Millennium" - Art Vision's Gallery - Chicago, IL
- 1999 "The Figure Moving Forward" - A Montgomery Ward Gallery - University of Illinois - One Person Show
- 1999 Skokie Arts Tour 2000 Exhibition of Sculpture
- 1999 "Approaching the Millennium" - Noyes Cultural Arts Center Gallery
- 1999 Chicago Arts Open
- 1999 Norris Gallery - St. Charles, IL - Group Show
- 1998 Renaissance Court Gallery - Chicago Cultural Center - Two Person Show
- 1998 "Masquerade" - National Sculpture Society - New York, NY
- 1998 "Women's Works" - Old Court House Arts Center - Woodstock, IL
- 1998 Northwestern Settlement House Gallery - Chicago, IL
- 1997 Suburban Fine Arts Center - Small Works Show
- 1996 Gallicurci Gallery - Evanston, IL
- 1996 "No Body's Perfect" - Constance Lindholm Gallery, Milwaukee, WI
- 1995 Portrait-Self-Portrait - CWCA ARC Gallery - Chicago, IL
- 1995 "Contextual Nude" - Signature Gallery - Stoughton, WI - Two Person Show
- 1995 Northern Trust - O'Hare Gallery - Two Person Show
- 1995 Northwest Cultural Council Gallery - Two Person Show
- 1994 "The Figure On and Off the Wall" - Suburban Fine Arts Center - Cortesi Gallery
- 1994 Zurich-American Insurance Corporate Gallery - One Person Show
- 1994 Northern Illinois Gas - Corporate Gallery - One Person Show
- 1993 "Self Portrait, The Inner You" - Noyes Cultural Arts Center Gallery
- 1993 "Double Image" - Triton College, River Grove, IL - Two Person Show
- 1992 Sculpture on the Plaza 92 - St. John's-Uihlein Fine Arts Gallery - Milwaukee, WI
- 1992 "Dimensions 92" Lenexa 3-D Outdoor Show - Lenexa, KS
- 1992 Dittmar Gallery - Evanston, IL