"Sarah Haviland's life-size female figures are fluid combinations of form and nuance, geometry and gesture. Sensuous but hard-edged, suggesting movement and stasis, they contain many contradictions, and take a stance midway between 'subject' and 'object.' Irving Sandler has described how these quasi-geometric figures exist in multiple realms: 'Sculpture and painting, volume and plane, the abstract and the figurative, and the organic and the crystal-like are played off against each other.' Thoughtful, witty, and beautifully crafted, these sculptures achieve a blend of historical and physical awareness in rethinking the female image." - curator Kellie Jones
- 2011 "Genie of the House" commissioned for Artscape, Pittsfield, MA
- 2011 "Spirit of Place" installed at Wildenstein, Rhinebeck, NY
- 2010 "Reflection Bench" installed at Pratt Sculpture Park, Brooklyn, NY
- 2010 "I Saw the Wind Within Her" installed at SculptureNow, Lee, MA
- 2010 "Becoming a Bird" HFA at Hudson Highlands Land Trust, Garrison, NY
- 2009 "Phoenix" installed at Fulton-Ferry State Park, Brooklyn, NY
- 2009 "Bird-Making Habitat" HFA at Historic Huguenot St., New Paltz, NY
- 2007 "Inward Sky" at Collaborative Concepts Saunders Farm, Garrison, NY
- 2005 "Looking Glass House" installation for Peekskill Project, Peekskill, NY
- 2003 "Copper Beach: People's Trust" for Arts Exchange, White Plains, NY
- 2001 "Trio" commissioned for Grounds for Sculpture, Hamilton, NJ
- 2010 Summit High School, Summit, NJ
- 2009 Garden Gallery at the Health Center, Peekskill, NY
- 2004 Maxwell Fine Arts Garden Gallery, Peekskill, NY
- 2001 Ceres Project Room, Chelsea, NYC
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- 2011 Wilderstein, Rhinebeck, NY, "Modern Art & the Romantic Landscape"
- 2011 Broadway Gallery, NYC, "Sculptors Guild Annual Show"
- 2010 Chesterwood, Stockbridge, MA, "Contemporary Sculpture"
- 2010 Workspace Harlem, NYC, "Habitat for Artists Recycling the Studio"
- 2009 GAGA, Garnerville, NY, "Garnerworld"
- 2008 Yonkers Riverfront Library, NY, "Ceramic Expressions"
- 2007 WCC Gallery, Valhalla, NY, "Common Ground: Proposals for Public Art"
- 2006 Maxwell Fine Arts, Peekskill, NY, "Conversations"
- 2005 Concordia College, Bronxville, NY, "Before & After: Imagining Public Art"
- 2004 Rockland Art Center, West Nyack, NY, "Sculpture in the Park"
- 2003 Garrison Art Center, NY, "The Great White Oak Exhibition"
- 2002 Arts Exchange, White Plains, NY, "Tributaries"
- 2001 Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland, OH, "Celebration of the Spirit"
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- 2010 BMCC Faculty Development Grant
- 2009 PSC-CUNY Research Award
- 2008 Special Opportunity Stipend, NYSCA/NYFA
- 2003 NEA Creativity Grant, WAC installation commission
- MFA, Hunter College, NYC
- Skowhegan School, Skowhegan, ME
- BA, cum laude, Yale University, New Haven, CT