- As a youth, Tom attended the Worcester (MA) art museum classes for artistically gifted children. In high school he received honors for his student pieces. He continued his fine art studies at Clark University, and later studied in Mexico at the Instituto Allende, in San Miguel de Allende, and finally at the Art Student League in New York City.
- In later years he became the owner/operator of a country inn near Woodstock NY where he quickly immersed himself in the local art scene. He joined the Woodstock Artists Association, exhibited his works, and established a gallery in his inn where he curated group exhibits which included his own works and those of local artists. His work was exhibited and sold primarily from his own gallery until the inn was sold, at which point he entered the mainstream of the New York art world.
- Tom’s work matured rapidly at the Art Student League in New York, where he studied for several years. Currently, he shows his assemblages, sculptures, and wall reliefs in regional and national competitions, has accepted numerous private commissions and is a member of major artist groups and associations, and regularly participates in gallery-sponsored juried shows. Tom works out of his Hudson Valley studio in New Paltz, NY, and has a private gallery where collectors and gallery owners can view his art. Highly productive, and never repetitious, he creates assemblages and indoor sculpture in unusual combined media consisting of natural organic and created materials.
Recent exhibitions include:
- group shows at the Art Student League in NYC
- the Garrison Art Center, Garrison, NY.
- the Woodstock Art Association Gallery; Hudson Valley Artists 2003 Annual Show
- New Paltz, NY; Amsterdam Whitney Gallery
- Chelsea, NYC; Ceres Gallery
- Chelsea, NYC; Unison Center for Arts & Learning
- New Paltz, NY; Peter Wallace Fine Art
- Longboat Key, FL; Gangolf-Freisberg Fine Art
- Palm Beach, Fl, Arts and Literature Laboratory (ALL)
- New Haven, CT; The Art Workshop
- SUNY, Westchester; The Barrett Art Center in Poughkeepsie, NY
- New Century Artists, Chelsea, NYC
- Caladan Gallery, Beverly, MA
- Ezair Gallery, Madison Ave., NYC, May 2005
- Solo Show, New Century Artists, Chelsea, NYC, Sept. 2005.
- Garrison NY Art Center Christmas Show, 2005
- Anderson Chase Gallery, Katonah ,NY, 2005
- Winner: Juried Competition, SloArt Productions
- Group Show: Limner Gallery: Phoenicia, NY, May, 2006
- Solo Show, New Century Artists, Chelsea, NYC, May 2006
- “Magical. Always a surprise. Makes you see things you never expect to see.” — Knox Martin, artist, teacher, critic, Art Student’s League, New York City.
- “Well-Conceived, well-executed, and intriguing sculpture.” — Ethan Karp, Director, OK Harris Gallery, NYC
- "His...recent sculptures and wall reliefs are unlike anything being shown around town.”
—Ed McCormack, Gallery and Studio, May, 2005
- “His work redefines the meaning of indoor sculpture.”
— Bruce Dorfman, artist, author, teacher, Art Student League