Mid-Ocean Studio Inc., 27 Sims Ave.
Providence, RI 02909, U.S.A.
Click image to enlarge.
Under my direction, Mid-Ocean’s work reflects the underlying geometry of organisms and living systems, resulting in cultural landmarks that reflect 21st century concepts and aesthetics. My 25-year experience of building over 40 large-scale public art projects has resulted in the design and fabrication of major sculptures installations as well as gateways, suspended works, performance spaces, interactive water features, lighting, paving patterns and street furniture.
Inspired by the natural world, my sculptures are typically stainless steel “cellular matrixes” built from multi-layered and multi-colored geometric frameworks. These matrixes often contain various combinations of embedded artifacts, glass, ceramics, metal and LED lighting relating to a site’s mission, history, and influences, resulting in landmark public art that enhances the sense of community and place.
Brower Hatcher was born in Atlanta, GA. He attended Vanderbilt University School of Engineering in Nashville, TN and received his degree in Industrial Design from Pratt Institute in New York. He then studied sculpture at St. Martins School of Art in London, U.K. with Sir Anthony Caro and William Tucker. He was on the faculty at St. Martins for several years and returned to the U.S. to join the faculty of Bennington College where he taught for 13 years. Hatcher ceased teaching in 1986 and has built over 40 public art projects throughout the U.S. since that time. Brower Hatcher is a recipient of 3 National Endowment for the Arts Fellowships, a Guggenheim Fellowship and an honorary Ph.D. from the State University of New York. He works at the historic Steel Yard in Providence, RI as the artistic director of Mid-Ocean Studio, Inc. In addition to his studio in Providence, RI he lives in Block Island, RI and New York City, NY.
- 2008 Untitled, Downtown Greenway SE Icon, Greensboro, NC for 2010 installation
- 2008 Showing the Way: the Tillie K. Fowler Memorial, Jacksonville River Walk, Jacksonville, FL installed 2009
- 2007 Gravity Wave, Minnesota State University, Mankato, MN installed 2008
- 2007 Event Horizon, Landmark Wales, Chirk, Wales, UK competition winner/project unbuilt
- 2006 Untitled, Galvez Garage Gateway, Baton Rouge, LA for 2010 installation
- 2006 Aurora, Tempe Center for the Arts Sculpture Garden, Tempe AZ installed 2007
- 2005 Kelowna, Stuart Park, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada for 2010 installation
- 2005 Linear Accelerator, St. Louis Metro, St. Louis, MO installed 2006
- 2005 Beacon, New Castle County Courthouse, Wilmington, DE installed 2006
- 2005 Cycle, St. Lucie County Cultural Affairs, Ft. Pierce, FL installed 2006
- 2005 Wellspring & Oculus, Two sculptures & furniture for Bayliss Park, Council Bluffs, IA installed 2006
- 2005 Source, Lemon Ave. Plaza, City of Sarasota, Sarasota, FL installed 2006
- 2005 Solar Path II, Spectacle Island, Boston, MA construction/installation depend on funds
- 2004 Archway, Florida Gulf Coast University, Ft. Myers, FL installed 2006
- 2004 Solar Path, Sheldon Lake Park, Ft. Collins, CO installed 2007
- 2004 Coastal Current, EpiCenter, Pinellas County, Clearwater, FL
- 2004 Crucible, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- 2003 Blue Spring, Blue Springs Hwy. 7 Corridor Project, Blue Springs, MO installed 2006
- 2003 Unification of Diversity, Rogel Chapel, Robert Morris University, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2003 Turbulent Stream, Tony Anaya Building, New Mexico Arts, Santa Fe, NM
- 2003 Ancient Concept, Target Corporation Headquarters, Minneapolis, MN
- 2002 Cultural Tapestry, District #1 Police Station, Dept. of Culture & Film, Denver, CO
- 2002 Vortex & Starman Plaza, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- 2002 Union of Matter and Space, Drury University, Springfield, MO
- 2001 Passage, Columbus State Community College, Columbus, OH
- 2001 Brainstorm, ADC Telecom, Eden Prairie, MN
- 2000 Radial Light, Fidelity Investments, Smithfield, RI
- 1996 Scattering Light, Dain Bosworth Corp., Minneapolis, MN
- 1995 Sanctuary II, Hunter Museum of American Art Sculpture Plaza, Chattanooga, TN
- 1995 Forum of Origin, State Street, Madison, WI
- 1995 El Arbol de Esperanza, Thomas Jefferson Park, New York, NY
- 1994 Edge of Sky, Allen Center Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., Houston, TX
- 1994 Seer, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- 1994 Sky Web, Northwest Airlines, Minneapolis, MN
- 1994 Global Apex, St. Paul Companies, St. Paul, MN
- 1993 Sanctuary, Lloyd Noland Hospital, Birmingham, AL
- 1993 Sanctuary of the Guardians, State of Florida, Largo, FL
- 1993 Layering of Worlds, Herberger Theater, Phoenix, AZ
- 1990 Starman in the Ancient Garden, Redevelopment Authority, Philadelphia, PA
- 1988 Prophecy of the Ancients, Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN
- 1986 The Principle of Justice, Municipal Courthouse, Roanoke, VA
- 1984 Adirondack Guide Monument, State University of New York, Plattsburg, NY
- 1983 Language of Whales, Battery Park (temporary), Creative Time, New York, NY
- 1997 State University of New York, Ph.D. (honorary)
- 1993 Honeywell Environmental Excellence Award, Phoenix, AZ
- 1991 New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowship
- 1990, 1980, 1974 National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship
- 1985 Guggenheim Fellowship
- 1970 Sainsbury Sculpture Award, U.K.
- 1968 Ford Foundation Fellowship
- 1988-89 Distinguished Visiting Professor, State University of New York, Plattsburg, NY
- 1972-85 Head of Sculpture, Bennington College Art Faculty, Bennington, VT
- 1969-72 Sculpture Dept., St. Martin’s School of Art, London, U.K.
2003 Calvin Charles Gallery, Scottsdale, AZ
2000 Grounds for Sculpture, Hamilton, NJ
2000 Brigham Young University Museum of Art, Provo, UT
1999 Virginia Lynch Gallery, Tiverton, RI
1998 Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY
1997 School of Visual Arts, New York, NY
1996 Carolyn Ruff Gallery, Minneapolis, MN
1995 Hunter Museum, Chattanooga, TN
1992 Eve Mannes Gallery, Atlanta, GA
1991 Margaret Lipworth Fine Arts, Boca Raton, FL
1991 Paul Cava Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
1991 Center for Contemporary Art, New York, NY
1990 Roanoke Museum of Fine Arts, Roanoke, VA
1989 IBM Center, Philadelphia, PA
1989 Houston Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, TX
1988 Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN
1988 Meyers Fine Art Center, SUNY Plattsburgh, NY
1987 Paul Cava Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
1986 Paul Cava Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
1985 Munson Williams Proctor Museum, Utica, NY
1984 Adirondack Guide Monument, Lake George, NY
1984 Houston Festival, Houston, TX
1983 Creative Time, New York, NY
1982 Diane Brown Gallery, Washington, D.C.
1981 Tibor de Nagy Gallery, New York, NY
1980 Sculpture Conference, Washington, D.C.
1979 Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
1977 Munson Williams Proctor Institute, Utica, NY
1976 Bennington College, Bennington, VT
1975 National Collection of Fine Arts, Washington, D.C.
1975 Hayward Museum, London, U.K.
1974 Monumenta, Newport, RI
1973 Kranert Museum, University of Illinois, IL
1972 Kasmin Ltd., London, UK