1570 La Vereda Rd.
Berkeley, CA 94708, U.S.A.
Phone: (510) 845-4956
Click image to enlarge.
Chronology and Education
- Born Kati Monson, Viroqua, WI.
- 1950 Norway, University of Oslo, summer study, AAUW Art Scholarship.
- 1952 Germany and Holland, independent study, summer.
- 1953 B.S., Art Education, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.
- 1955 New York City, Columbia University, summer classes, painting and drawing.
- 1956 Costa Rica and Central America, independent study, two months.
- 1958-'59 Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, and England, independent study.
- 1964 Berkeley, CA, University of California (UC), painting, Stefinelli, summer.
- 1967 Oakland, CA, California College of Arts and Crafts (CCAC), etching, Vredaparis and J. Parker.
- 1969 CCAC, lithography, Charles Gill.
- U.C. Berkeley, woodcut, Arne Wolf and textile printing, Avaken Aven of Kunstfacscholen, Sweden.
- 1970-'71 England, Sweden, Greece and Japan, independent study and printmaking.
- 1974 Began making steel sculptures.
- 1982 Visiting Artist, Studio at Hydra, Greece.
- 1993 Visiting Artist, Studio at Ekely, Eduard Munch Estate, Oslo, Norway.
- 1954-'55 Beaver Dam, WI: taught grades 1-6, junior high and high school arts.
- 1955-'56 Upsala College, East Orange, NJ: taught drawing, painting, design and art history.
- 1960 Madison, WI, (January-June): taught drawing grades 1-6, Spring Harbor School.
- 1961 Madison, WI, (Sept.-June): taught drawing at adult vocational school.
- Oakland, CA, Oakland City Center, sculpture.
- Viroqua, WI, City Park, site specific earth sculpture.
- San Francisco, CA, The Lurie Company, lobby sculpture.
- San Francisco, CA, Hastings College of the Law, paper work.
- New York City, International Paper Co, paper work.
- Palo Alto, CA, Syntex Corp, sculpture.
- Salem, OR, Oregon Arts Commission, paper work.
- Dallas, TX, Spectrum Center, sculpture.
- Brea, CA Percent for Art Program, sculpture.
- Berkeley, CA, Cesar Chavez Park, sculpture.
- Santa Clara, CA, Civic Center, sculpture.
- Viroqua, WI, City Park, mirrored stainless steel sculpture.
- 1994 Magnolia Editions, Oakland, CA.
- 1992 City of Oakland, CA, commission, Open Proposals, Empty Chairs-Green Ribbons, for Missing Persons.
- 1991 New Leaf Garden Gallery, Berkeley, CA.
- 1989 Victor Fischer Galleries, San Francisco, CA.
- 1985 Victor Fischer Galleries, Oakland, CA.
- 1980 Van Doren Gallery, San Francisco, CA.
- 1977 Richmond Art Center, Richmond, CA.
- 1974 Zara Gallery, San Francisco, CA.
- 1999 Small Works from the California Society of Printmakers: 1999 Annual Exhibition, Claudia Chapline Gallery, Stinson Beach, CA.
- Nordic 5 Arts, Nordic Heritage Museum, Seattle, WA.
- 1998 Nordic 5 Arts, Claudia Chapline Gallery, Stinson Beach, CA.
- 1997 Spectrum - Woodblock thru Microchip, The California Society of Printmakers Annual Membership Show, Berkeley Store Gallery, Berkeley, CA.
- Saving Grace, Sculpture, A New Leaf Gallery, Berkeley, CA.
- 1996 Pacific Rim Sculptors / Exhibit at Mother Lode.
- '94-'95 Art in Public Places, Santa Clara City Hall Plaza, Santa Clara, CA.
- Sculpture by the Bay, Berkeley Marina, Berkeley, CA.
- 1994 PIaza Art '94, Mountain View City Plaza, Mountain View, CA.
- Sculpture, Syntex Corp., Palo Alto, CA.
- Nordic Accent, Sculpture, Contract Design Center, San Francisco, Pacific Rim Sculpture
- 1991 Possibilities of Paper, Syntex, Palo Alto, CA.
- 1986 Paperworks, Beni Gallery, Kyoto, Japan.
- 40th San Francisco Arts Festival, sculpture installation.
- 1985 Going Public, Walnut Creek Civic Arts Center, Walnut Creek, CA.
- 1984 Paper as Art, Art on Paper, Storefront Museum, Oakland, CA.
- Sculpture, Oakland City Center, Oakland, CA (Fischer Galleries).
- Sculpture, Chapman College, Orange County, Los Angeles, CA (Fischer Galleries).
- Sculpture, Hastings College of The Law, San Francisco, CA (Fischer Galleries).
- 1983 Bay Area Wood Blocks, World Print Council, Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA.
- 1982 12th International Sculpture Conference:
- Sculpture '82, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA.
- California Sculpture Inside-Out, Brook House, Orinda, CA.
- The Brook House Sculpture Invitational, Kaiser Center, Oakland, CA.
- Oakland City Hall, Installed under the auspices of the Oakland Museum.
- Mills College, Oakland, CA, sculpture.
- Greek Orthodox Church, Oakland, CA, sculpture.
- 1979 Scenes from the Visual Arts, Center for the Visual Arts, Oakland, CA.
- New Paper, World Print Council, Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA.
- Printed Matter, California Printmakers, Walnut Creek Civic Arts Gallery, Walnut Creek, CA.
- Outdoor Sculpture Show, Syntex, Palo Alto, CA, 1979-1980.
- 1978 Mixed Media Paper, Berkeley Art Center, Berkeley, CA.
- California Printmakers, Los Angeles Branch Library (Traveling Show).
- Sculpture, College of Notre Dame, Belmont, CA.
- 1977 Variations On The Sculpture Idea, Center for the Visual Arts, Oakland, CA.
- Contemporary Issues, Works on Paper by Women, Los Angeles Women's Building, Los Angeles and University of Houston, Houston, TX.
- 1976 Polymorphous Multifarious Sculpture, Syntex Gallery, Palo Alto, CA.
- Print Show, Cal Expo, Sacramenfo, CA.
- California Printmakers, Palo Alto Cultural Center, Palo Alto, CA.
- 1975 Prints California, Oakland Museum, Oakland, CA.
Television and Radio Interviews
- Norwegian National Broadcasting Co, "Jonsok Interview," July, 1985.
- Channel 7 TV, San Francisco, CA, "Bay Area Sculpture," July, 1982
- Video, "Kati Casida: Hand Made Paper As Sculpture," 1982 by Howard Gutstadt, GESI
- Video, "Eleven Norwegian Artists," Oslo, Norway, 1993, by Casida.
- California Society of Printmakers Newsletter, "Diminishing Borders," January 1984.
- California Printmaker, Quarterly Journal, "For The Love of Washi," January 1987.
- Nordic 5 Arts, Editor & Publisher, inaugurated 1993, 2 issues per year.
Conferences - presented slide lectures
- The National Women's Art Caucus, San Francisco, CA 1989.
- Organization for Women Architects and Design Professionals, Berkeley, CA, 1987.
- First National Women's Sculpture Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1987.
- The National Women's Art Caucus, New York City, 1986.
- De Kalb, Dana, Sculpture in Public Places, 1989, Victor Fischer Galleries.
- Hoare, Tyler James, Trading Company, UC Extension Art Gallery, 1989, paper work," Feathered Nights."
- Neubert, George, The Brookhouse Sculpture Invitational at Kaiser Center, Oakland, CA, 1982, sculpture, "Loop the Loop Red."
- Levine, Melinda, Sculpture '82, Rohnert Park, CA, Sonoma State University, University Art Gallery, 1982, sculpture, "Continuum."
- Hoare, Tyler James, & Waters, Ruth Jahnke, CVA Sculpture, Oakland, CA, 1982, sculpture, "Yellow Ribbon."
- The World Print Council, Paper-Art & Technology, 1979, p, 101, paper, "Whispers."
- Heller, Jules, Paper-making, Watson Guptill, 1978, p, 126, "Ribboned Sea."
- Sher, Elizabeth, Mixed Media on Paper, Berkeley Art Center, Berkeley, CA, 1978.
- Hoover, Herbert, Hoover's Guide to Galleries, San Francisco, CA, 1974-'75 edition, p, 62.
- Viroqua Broadcaster, 1997, Viroqua, WI.
- La Crosse Tribune, 1997, La Crosse, WI.
- City of Oakland, "Open Proposals Project, Empty Chairs-Green Ribbons for Missing Persons," articles published in 1992 in the following newspapers:
- Oakland Landscape, 1993 Castro Valley Times, 1992
- The Montclarion, Empty Chairs, 1992 The Argus, 1992, La Crosse, WI
- Contra Costa Times, 1992 La Crosse Tribune, 1992, La Crosse, WI
- The Daily Californian, 1992, Berkeley The Greek American, 1992, New York, New York
- Hills Publications, 1992, East Bay Cities The Greek Star, 1992, Chicago, IL
- The Hellenic Journal, 1992, The Cyprus Weekly, 1992, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- San Francisco Bay Area
- La Crosse Tribune, WI, Steve Irving, "Sculptor Creates for Viroqua," July 1987.
- International Sculpture, "Commission," July/August 1986.
- West Art, "Art Commission Holds 40th Festival," September 1986.
- San Francisco Chronicle, McNair/Cotton, "Modern Sculpture Gardens," May 1985.
- Viking Magazine, Gaylen Beal & Andrea M. Workman, "Jonsok Sculpture" and "Kati Casida, Modern Sculptor," December 1985
- Lois Requiest, San Francisco Examiner, August 22, 1984.
- Center for the Visual Arts Newsletter, "Spotlight on Kati Casida," January 1984.
- Kathleen Bonner, "Sculpture '82," Images and Issues, November/December 1982.
- "White Wave," West Art, September 24, 1982.
- Jo Anne Burstein, "Sculpture '82," Artweek, October 17, 1981.
- Charles Shere, Oakland Tribune, December 24, 1981.
- Woodland Integration, Andree M. Workman, Artweek, October 17, 1981.
- "Curatorial Curves, Center for Visual Arts," Daily Californian, Cathy Curtis, May 25, 1979.
For pricing contact: Sculpturesite Gallery, San Francisco, CA. (415) 495-6400