Jerome Harris Parmet
11534 Highview Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20902, U.S.A.
Phone: (914) 725-2004
Fax: (914) 725-2004
Click image to enlarge.
To view artist's VIDEO regarding Atlantic City Waterfront sculpture, click here.
To read biographical interview with artist, click here.
To read article re naming contest for artist's sculpture, click here.
For more than 45 years, as President of Foresite Planning, Inc., Jerome Harris Parmet focused his artistic career on planning/designing/rehabbing architectural interiors and buildings for corporations, showrooms and restaurants primarily in NYC and its metro area. However, he always remembered a gratifying experience in a sculpture class in college and upon semi-retirement twenty years ago, began to experiment with welded metal, first in classes at a local community college, then art schools, finally setting up his own studio. To his rekindled fascination at working with metal, he now applied principles learned in his professional practice.
“The principles of architecture, whether interior or exterior, revolve around three-dimensional space. The same applies to sculpture, whatever the material from which it is created. The similarities of both disciplines speak to me, perhaps because the sensitivity to space and spatial interrelationships come naturally to the architect. Both architect and sculptor balance four considerations - Form, Function, Economy and Time - as their framework for resolving concept, in order to thrive as artist and business person.
“The process of welding, juxtaposing a molten fluid substance to the hardness of metal, satisfies my need to mold, shape and create form. Metal sculpture functions in its environment in every way, from existing as a moveable, useable object to simply filling a void with its enduring presence. The materials utilized range from creative reuse of scrap yard ‘junk’ to expensive stainless steel - depending upon budget constraints and inspired choice. Deadlines can be felt as inhibitors; however, in my design, and now, sculptural careers, I have found time limitations helpful in sparking high energy and sharp decisions.
“My repeated theme is an examination of balance and stress. Each piece has individuality, achieved after hours of dreams, sketches, models and mock-ups, but they all seem to be an exploration into steel suspended in space.”
EXHIBITS & INSTALLATIONS:
- “The Mount”, Edith Wharton Estate, Lenox, MA; 2016 "Sculpture Now" Exhibit
- Dobbs Ferry Woman’s Club BEAUX ARTS EXHIBIT, “Wash Day”, 1st Place Sculpture
- Collaborative Concepts: Saunders Farm Project, Garrison, NY -
- Commission: Iron Horse Grille, Pleasantville, NY “IRON HORSE”,
- 2013 - 2014
- Waterfront Sculpture Walk, Atlantic City, NJ
- City of White Plains, NY, Proposal for Re-Inventing Downtown
- City of Ossining, NY 200th Bi-Centennial Juried Exhibit
- City of Yonkers, NY Waterfront Exhibit 2012-2013
- 26th Rosen Sculpture Competition & Exhibition, Appalachian University, Boone, NC. 3rd Place winner.
- 2011 David & Erika Boyd Sculpture Garden, Leonia, NJ
- 2010 Finalist, AIPP, CT Commission on Culture & Tourism, EC Goodwin Tech High School, New Britain, CT
- 2009 Arts for Healing, Blue Door Gallery, Yonkers, NY
- 2009 River Journey, Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY
- 2009 - 2010 23rd Rosen Sculpture Competition & Exhibition, Appalachian University, Boone, NC
- 2008 Contemporary Sculpture at CHESTERWOOD 2008
2008 - 2009 City of Yonkers, NY - City Hall Park
2008 Town of Huntington, NY - Public Art Initiative
2008 Garrison Art Center, Garrison, NY - CURRENT
2007 Sculpture Barn, New Fairfield, CT - Atelier IV Exhibit
2007 Town of Huntington, NY - Public Art Initiative
2006 - 2007 The Sculpture Mile at Madison, CT
2006 - 2007 Salem Art Works (SAW), Salem, NY
2005 - 2006 Burlington County College Sculpture Garden, Pemberton, NJ
2005 Township of Greenburgh, DeSanti Plaza Solo Exhibit, Hartsdale Metro North Train Station
2004 - 2005 Rockland Center for the Arts Annual Outdoor Exhibit, “Sculpture in the Park”
2004 Mather Hospital Annual Outdoor Sculpture Show, Pt. Jefferson, NY
2002 Silvermine Art Center Fall Show, Norwalk, CT
2002 Woodstock Garden Tour, private garden
- 2011 New Rochelle Art Assn; Julius Bauer Award Show, 1st Place Sculpture
- 2011 New Rochelle Art Assn; Adolph Grant Award, 1st Place Sculpture
- 2010 Washington, DC (3)
- 2008 Chevy Chase, MD.
- 2005 Armonk, NY
- 2003 Saratoga Springs, NY
- Scottsdale, AZ
2010 Metal Sculpture, Bob Perucci - Silvermine
2004 - 2009 Metal Sculpture, David Boyajian
2001 - 2003 Metal Sculpture, Silvermine School of Art
2001 - 2002 Metal Sculpture, Purchase University
2000 - 2001 Metal Sculpture, Westchester Community College
1967 - 2004 President JHP Designs Ltd. and Foresite Planning, Inc.
1957 B.F.A. Interior Design, Syracuse University