Successful public art informs its environment with a spirit that transforms a place into an
aesthetic and engaging experience. When I develop an idea for a public art project the site is critical to how the work will manifest itself. Also the needs and desires of the individuals that will experience the space are crucial to this formative process. These site specific art pieces are successful only to the extent that they can engage the viewer in a compelling and/or sublime way.
Public Art Commissions/ Design Teams (selected)
• 2010 Poem of Light, Site-specific LED light installation. Reykjavik, Iceland.
• 2008 - 2009 Chinook Lights, Site-specific project. LED light installation in
transitional entryway of municipal parking garage. Seattle, Washington.
• 2008 - 2009 Clevland Lights, Site-specific project. LED light installation in Light
Rail Station for Clevland Rail Authority. Cleveland, Ohio. Budget:
• 2006 Light Channels, Site-specific public art project consisting of aluminum
sculptures and hundreds of LED lights installed at the I37 underpasses at Houston
and Commerce Streets, San Antonio,Texas.
• 2003-2005 Skywall, 60’ long sculpture with LED lights located at the Bush
Intercontinental Airport, Houston, Texas.
• 2005-2008 Woodlawn Ave. Bus Stop Design Team with Pape-Dawson Engineers,
streets and drainage project for the city of San Antonio.
• 2001 Duck Pond plaza Design Team with Groves and Associates, redesign of a
neighborhood park with public art for the city of San Antonio.
• 2000 Millennium Plaza, a site-specific sculpture for the University of Houston at
• 1999 Day Star Archway, a 40’ tall archway and walkway at the San Antonio
International Airport, San Antonio, Texas.
• 1996-1997 Design Team Participant, San Antonio Airport Expansion Project—
• 1996 Rhode Island Lights, exterior neon sculpture for the Rhode Island Convention
Center, Providence, Rhode Island.
• 1995 The Epiphany of Five Rivers, commissioned by the River Pierce Foundation,
located on the banks of the Rio Grande, San Ygnacio, Texas.
• 1994 Olaf, commissioned by the Hampshire Sculpture Trust to commemorate the
millennium of the Viking visits, Hampshire County, England.
• 1992 Homage to Balder, commissioned by the Millesgarden Museum and
Sculpture Garden to celebrate Swedish mythology, Stockholm, Sweden. =
• 1991 Literary Garden, chosen for the Main Library in Gainesville, Florida (funding
was not realized). Budget: Funds Unrealized
• 1990 Lemon Creek Plaza, Lemon Creek Correctional Facility, Juneau, Alaska, 1%
commission-State of Alaska.
• 1988 Fifth Ave. Reflections, an interior and exterior neon sculpture for the 5th Ave.
parking facility, Anchorage, Alaska.
• 1988 North Star Plaza, an environmental sculpture for the Fairbanks Youth Facility,
• 1987 Solar Path, an environmental sculpture for Spring Hill Elementary School, 1%
commission, Anchorage, Alaska.
• 1986 Marine Walkways, outdoor seating area. Wood and boulder.
Commissioned by the Alaska State Council for the Arts. Anchorage, AK.
Appointments, Boards, and Grants
• 2006 International Sculpture Center, Member of Board of Trustees
• 1999-2000 Blue Star Contemporary Art Center, President, Board of Directors
• 1996-2000 Adjunct Faculty, Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas
• 1995 Visiting Artist, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, Rhode Island
• 1993 Fulbright Scholar, Hungarian Academy of Art and Design, Budapest,
• 1991 USIA, Artist Fellowship, Helsinki, Finland
• 1988 Associate Professor, Head of Sculpture Department, San Antonio Art
Institute, San Antonio, Texas.
• 1985 Director of Sculpture, Visual Arts Center of Alaska, Anchorage, Alaska
Exhibitions (selected) Bill FitzGibbons has had sixteen solo exhibitions and has been in
over sixty group exhibitions over the past twenty-five years.
• 2008 Alamo Lights, Luminaria: Arts Night in San Antonio, SanAntonio, TX
• 2007 Shattering Glass: New Perspectives, Katonah Museum of Art,
Katonah, New York
• 2006 Eellight, The Lab Gallery, New York City, New York
• 2000 Earth and Fire, San Antonio Museum of Art, an exhibition of
ceramic sculpture, San Antonio, Texas.
• 1996 Northern Lights, Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh, Scotland
• 1993 Out of the Fire, Laredo Arts Center, Laredo, Texas
• 1993 Jansen-Perez Gallery, San Antonio, Texas
• 1993 Carrington-Gallagher Gallery, San Antonio, Texas
• 1992 Millesgarden Museum, Stockholm, Sweden
• 1991 Otso Gallery, Helsinki, Finland
• 1991 Hochsule fur Bildende Kunste, Brunschweig, Germany
• 1991 Blue Star Art Space, San Antonio, Texas
• 1988 Anchorage Museum of History and Art, Anchorage, Alaska
• 1983 Light Motifs, St. Louis Art Museum, St. Louis, Missouri
• 1982 Pratt Manhattan Gallery, New York City, New York
• 1981 City Museum, Stoke-on-Trent, England
• 1980 Electrosculpture, Midland Art Centre, Birmingham, England